Tuesday, October 21, 2008

GCC Tour - Stacy DeKeyser

Welcome to day two of win-it week! Today I have a special blog for you - an interview with Stacy DeKeyser, author of JUMP THE CRACKS. Her book has received great reviews and has been nominated for the YALSA 2009 popular paperback award and Texas Lone Star Reading List. Here's the back cover blurb:

When fifteen-year-old Victoria witnesses what she believes to be child neglect on a train to New York, she makes a split-second decision and takes the young boy with her on the next train out in order to protect him. But, in her effort to make sure the child doesn’t slip through the cracks and end up back with the neglectful parents, she’s unwittingly branded a kidnapper and is forced to stay on the run until she can clear her name.

JUMP THE CRACKS is a fast-paced, suspense-driven thriller set in motion when a young girl is forced to confront the fine line between doing the legal thing and doing the right thing. Debut novelist Stacy DeKeyser offers a memorable and honest portrayal of a teen whose efforts to take on a child’s demons leads her to take on her own in the process.


Sounds cool, yes? Be sure to check it out!!! Meanwhile, here's Stacy and the interview questions:

1. What inspired you to write JUMP THE CRACKS?
An early scene of Jump the Cracks (on the train) is a fictionalized version of an experience I had myself. It was very upsetting, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. So I decided to try writing about it. It was very therapeutic.
2. Are any of your characters based on real people that you know?
Miss Theresa has a bit of both my grandmothers in her. That's about it, though.

3. What excites you?
An idea for a new book. Or maybe it's the other way around. When I have an idea that stirs up lots of emotion inside me -- whether it's good emotion or bad -- that's how I know it's something I should write about.

4. What turns you off?
People who treat children and animals badly. Rude people in general.

5. In DEATH BY LATTE, my character Aphra starts her adventure with a lie. What's the biggest lie you ever told, and what happened as a result of the telling?
Hmm. I was a very meek child, so this is hard. Once in 8th grade I told my mom I'd be at a friend's house, but my friend took me walking to see a boy she liked at his house. It was nighttime and I had no idea where we were. It made me very nervous.

6. All stories are built on suspense. What's the most suspenseful thing that's happened to you in real life?
Waiting to hear back from an editor who's interested in my book!
(Note: I can relate to that!!!)

7. If you could invite anyone you wanted - living or dead - to hang out with you at a weekend retreat, who would you invite and why?
Maybe Mark Twain. He'd be fun to talk to, and he could tell me stories.

8. What's one thing most people don't know about you?
My youngest sister was born when I was a sophomore in college. I had fun going around telling my friends, "Guess who's pregnant?"

9. What's your favorite quote?
There's a line in the movie A LEAGUE OF THEIR own that I think applies really well to writing. When Dottie (Geena Davis' character) contemplates quitting the team, she tell Tom Hanks it's because playing baseball isn't easy any more. Tom Hanks tells her, "It's not supposed to be easy. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it." I try to remember that. Oh, and of course, "There's no crying in baseball."

10. Milk Chocolate or Dark?
Is this a trick question? I refuse to have to choose. :)

Today's freebie will be a pair of tabi socks and rice-paper candy. To be entered to win, leave a comment below about Stacy's book or interview.