Thursday, November 12, 2009

FREEBIE FRIDAY with Stacey Jay


Yes, only one week until New Moon. Anyone else kind of excited for it? I'm thinking it can't possibly be as awful at the Twilight movie was (although the New Moon trailer with Edward flinging Bella out of the way is pretty funny... and that "What drives Edward" Volvo commercial is the epitome of cheesy...) My hope is that it will all be worth it, seeing our new buff Jacob and the Quileute boys. : )

ANYWAY, lets give a warm Freebie Friday welcome to Stacey Jay, who is joining us for this special Friday the 13th, bearing gifts! The second book in Stacey's undead series is already coming in January, so here's your chance to get prepared by reading the first, YOU ARE SO UNDEAD TO ME.

Here's the book's blurb:

Q: HOW MANY ZOMBIES DOES IT TAKE TO RUIN A SOCIAL LIFE?
A: NOT MANY.

Megan Berry is a Zombie Settler by birth, which means she's part-time shrink to a whole bunch of semi-dead people with killer issues. All Megan really wants is to go to homecoming, but when you're trailed by a bunch of slobbering corpses whenever you leave the house, it's kinda hard to score a date. Let's just say Megan's love life could use some major resuscitation.

Megan's convinced her life can't get any worse - until someone in school starts using black magic to turn average, angsty Undead into scary, hardcore flesh-eating Zombies. Now it's up to Megan to stop the Zombie apocalypse. Her life - and more importantly, the homecoming dance - depends on it.

BookKids Recommends calls YOU ARE SO UNDEAD TO ME "Part Buffy the Vampire Slayer, part Night of the Living Dead" and says this is a book you don't want to miss. Romantic Times agrees, giving it four stars, and KidLiterate Reviews says Stacey is "a cross between Stephenie Meyer and Joss Whedon." (Wow!)

*Megan's adventures continue in UNDEAD MUCH, which will hit the shelves Janauary 21, and again in MY SO-CALLED DEATH, which will come your way in March.

And now on to the interview:

Are any of your characters based on real people that you know?
Not really. I'll confess that Megan and I both have the tendency to over think EVERYTHING, but that's simply a shared neurosis. I actually try my best not to use people I know as inspiration. I'm afraid they'll recognize themselves as they read and call me on my shoplifting their personality for my evil, fictional purposes!

What excites you?
Cheese. Scary movies. Sunny days. Rainy days. Playing with my kids. Fleeing my kids to play with my husband. Books. Man...just about everything. I'm really easy as far as getting amped-up is concerned.

What turns you off?
People with bad manners. Rude people stink and bring down the enjoyment level of everyone around them.

If you could invite anyone you wanted - living or dead - to hang out with you at a weekend retreat, who would you invite and why?
My dad. He died when I was nineteen, before he finished the novel he was working on. I'd love to chat with him about writing now that I'm published. I'd also love to tell him that I just sold a grown up book with the same title he was using for his old Work in Progress. I know he'd get a kick out of that.

What can you tell us about the psychology of zombies?
Zombies are a lot like people. They have issues. Lots and lots of issues. And some of them want to eat your yummy flesh--which isn't much like most people, thank goodness!

Do you have any special writing rituals or totems to connect with your muse?
My working chair is very hard, very wooden, and very uncomfortable. It helps inspire me to get to work and curb any procrastination urges. That's my biggest writing ritual--getting my butt in the chair and making those words. Every day. As far as my muse is concerned, I don't take any crap from her. She knows she's expected to bring it at least five days a week and she does. I think she's a little afraid of me, but that's okay. I'm fine with being scary in the name of keeping the words flowing.

What's one thing most people don't know about you?
I can stand on my head for a really long time. Don't challenge me to a contest. I will win.

What's your favorite quote?
"Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin

What are you working on now?
THE LOCKET--a love triangle, time-travel, YA thriller, with a really scary piece of jewelry in it. It will be out in 2011 from Razorbill books!

You can read more about Stacey and her books on her website, blog and on twitter.

For today's freebie, Stacey is offering not only a signed copy of YOU ARE SO UNDEAD TO ME, but also a special YOU ARE SO UNDEAD TO ME t-shirt for the winner! To be entered, leave a comment below, telling us about your favorite zombie book, movie, TV show or moment.

This drawing will remain open until Wednesday, November 18.