Wednesday, January 06, 2010

First GCC Tour of the Year - Eileen Cook

Starting 2010 off with a bang - today I'm happy to welcome GCC sister Eileen Cook to the blog. Eileen is celebrating the release of her new book, GETTING REVENGE ON LAUREN WOOD, available NOW!

Here's the official back cover blurb:

In the final weeks of eighth grade, Lauren Wood made a choice. She betrayed her best friend, Helen, in a manner so publicly humiliating that Helen had to move to a new town just to save face. Ditching Helen was worth it, though, because Lauren started high school as one of the It Girls--and now, at the start of her senior year, she's the cheerleading captain, the quarterback's girlfriend, and the undisputed queen bee. Lauren has everything she's ever wanted, and she has forgotten all about her ex-best friend.

But Helen could never forget Lauren. After three years of obsessing, she's moving back to her old town. She has a new name and a new look, but she hasn't dropped her old grudges. She has a detailed plan to bring down her former BFF by taking away everything that's ever been important to Lauren—starting with her boyfriend.

Watch out, Lauren Wood. Things are about to get bitchy.

Eileen's writing has been called “Sassy and sly and sweet" (Meg Cabot). "pitch perfect" (Jacquelyn Mitchard) and "Smart and fun and full of heart." (Sarah Mlynowski.) You're not going to want to miss this book.

The interview:

What inspired you to write Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood?
The book was inspired in part by rereading The Count of Monte Cristo. It’s such a great revenge tale with secret identities, romance and betrayal between best friends. It made me think how things would play out if the story were to take place in a high school. Right then I was off and running with a story.

Have you ever sought serious revenge on a rival?
I haven’t ever done any of the evil revenge plans (at least for legal reasons I could never admit to it!) I came up with in the book, but I certainly have thought about it! Doesn’t everyone dream of getting someone back who really hurt us? When I started writing the book I couldn’t believe all the evil ideas for revenge that came to me.

Do you have any special writing rituals or totems to connect with your muse?
Nothing in particular, but just to be on the safe side, I make sure to have lots of chocolate around.

What's one thing most people don't know about you?
I can’t do a cartwheel. I am nearly terminally clumsy. I fall over stray clumps of dust. I always wanted to be able to do a cartwheel, but my arms, legs and gravity refuse to work together. My mom even hired me a trainer when I was a kid to try and help me. No luck. I guess it is clear I will never make the Olympic gymnastics team.

What's your favorite quote?
Carpe Diem. It means seize the day. I think it is far too easy to let life slip away and become routine. I don’t want to be old and in a nursing home and realize I used up all of my life watching reruns of some TV show that I didn’t even like that much. I try and look for any chance to try something new, spend time with friends, enjoy the moment and be willing to take risks.

What is an interesting writing quirk of yours?
When I am stuck and am hitting a patch of writer’s block I have to leave the house and go write someplace in public (a coffee shop, restaurant, the library- anywhere public) and I have to handwrite versus using my laptop. For some reason this works.

If GETTING REVENGE ON LAUREN WOOD were made into a movie, who would you like to cast in the lead?
I’ve been asked this sort of question before and I stink at it. I come up with one name and then change my mind and then sit there and spend hours on IMDB trying to figure out a better plan B. Personally, I would like to cast Colin Firth so I could meet him, even though there is no real Colin Firth type character in the book. Thus, I will leave the casting to Hollywood as long as they promise to invite me to the fancy parties.

What kind of chocolate best describes you?
Dark Chocolate with nuts, that me- complex with a bunch of quirks!

Huge thanks to Eileen for starting the year off right! I'll see everyone on Friday for the decade's first freebie.

Happy New Year!