Sunday, October 03, 2010

Party with Beth Fantaskey

Beth Fantaskey is a walking contradiction. Her favorite hobby is traveling the world, but her biggest fear is flying. Her second-biggest fear is public speaking, but she's a college professor (who sometimes teaches public speaking). And she has two five-year-olds... who aren't twins. Beth is also the author of JEKEL LOVES HYDE, and JESSICA'S GUIDE TO DATING ON THE DARK SIDE.

Here's the back cover blurb for JEKEL LOVES HYDE:

Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents' rules--especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father's office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be the key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.To improve her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen's sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill's accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything--even Tristen's love--just for the thrill of being...bad.

And here's Jessica's reading:

Your compound vibrations are sixteen, thirty, and ten.

Ten is a number of honor, of faith and of self-confidence. Ten is a fortunate number that indicates that one’s plans are likely to be carried out – however, it is symbolized by the wheel of fortune, which can signal a rise and fall in success.

Sixteen gives warning of danger of accidents and defeat of one's plans. It should be carefully noted and plans made in advance to avert its fatalistic tendency. Sixteens should trust their intuition to avoid hardship.

Thirty is a number of thoughtful deduction, incisive thinking, retrospection, and mental superiority. A person with this vibration often chooses to put all material things to the side. It can be a powerful or indifferent vibration, depending on the mental outlook of the person it represents.

Your name value is one.

The number one indicates someone who is creative, independent, original, individual. Ones are good self-starters and natural leaders. Ones show interest in the arts, such as singing, acting, writing, painting, and love to curl up with a good book.


And her reaction:

Although the heroine of my first novel is a “mathlete,” I am completely intimidated by numbers and can barely add, so the thought that numerals might somehow dictate my fate is a little worrisome! I’m especially not fond of that ominous “16” lurking in my reading, with its “warning of danger and accidents.” (Was it 16 that pushed me down the stairs last year, so I broke my hand?)

Overall, though, I’d have to say that my numbers do seem to reflect aspects of my personality. As the “10” suggests, I’m dogged about carrying out plans and hold the trait of “honor” in especially high regard. Honor is definitely a theme in my books – and hopefully my life!

As for my “30” indicating “mental superiority”... Well, I don’t know about THAT, but I do tend to be reflective and indifferent to material things, even stuff most people consider “sentimental.” To me, it’s people – and memories – that are most important.

Finally, my “name value” of “1” is right on the mark. I like to think that I’m all of those things the number indicates – which seem pretty necessary for a novelist! Not only does the job demand creativity, but you have to be a self-starter. Nobody will force you to finish a manuscript. And my dad’s nickname for me is “One-er,” because he says he’s never met anybody quite like me, so I guess I’m an original...

All in all, it was a pretty interesting exercise – and I’ll be watching over my shoulder for you, “16!”

You can read more about Beth at bethfantaskey.com.

Today's daily giveaway is a copy of ZOMBIE QUEEN OF NEWBURY HIGH by Amanda Ashby, and book buttons for JEKEL LOVES HYDE and JESSICA'S GUIDE TO DATING ON THE DARK SIDE. Because these posts went up late today, this drawing will remain open until Tuesday.