Monday, October 11, 2010

Party with Brenna Yovanoff

Welcome to the party, Brenna Yovanoff!

Brenna's a Tenner (a debut author this year) and yes... her novel THE REPLACEMENT is in the coveted PENGUIN FIVE box. She lives in Denver, Colorado, loves survival video games, and has a strange penchant for parentheses. Brenna is one third of the Merry Sisters of Fate along with Maggie Stiefvater and Tessa Gratton, whose flash fiction can be found at www.merryfates.com.

Here's the official blurb for THE REPLACEMENT:

Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, Mackie comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement—left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is slowly dying in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with an oddly intriguing girl named Tate. But when Tate’s baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.

Brenna's numbers and her response:

Twenty is often called "the awakening" and can be interpreted as a call for action to some great purpose, cause or duty. Delays or obstacles to one's plans can be conquered through the development of the spiritual side of nature.

BY: Well, I used to be really flighty and easily distracted, but as I've gotten older, I've gotten a lot better at taking my time with projects and accepting the process as a series of steps. It's taken awhile, but I've also accepted that I have to put a lot of myself into my projects (and expect a lot from myself) if I want to wind up with something good at the end.

Forty-three
can be an unfortunate number. It is symbolized by signs of revolution, hardship and prevention. People having a name in this number typically fight against the system. They express their ideas through writing.
This number takes a positive turn, however, as it reduces to seven, which is your surname vibration. Seven is a number of introspection, ancient knowledge, and scientific and spiritual study. Forty three adds the additional vibration of being creative while paying careful attention to details.

BY: While I certainly wouldn't claim to be a revolutionary, I've always been best at expressing my ideas through writing, and I've always loved science and experimentation. However, I'm not a perfect scientist—I'm not organized enough. I don't tend to think in a linear way (on paper, it looks more like a web), but even though it's messy, I definitely associate that type of thinking with a creativity that's powered by details.

Your name vibration is
nine, which is considered sacred by the Chaldeans. It contains the forces of all the other numbers and stands for a complete cycle of growth. Nines tend to be selfless, compassionate and tolerant. Many nines are blessed with artistic genius. Nines are independent and headstrong, and don’t like to leave things undone.


BY: This is an interesting one. I do try to be compassionate and tolerant ("try" being the operative word here), though I really don't think I'd call myself selfless. As I mentioned earlier, I'm scientific by nature, rather than nurturing. I'm a humanitarian, but bad with emotional situations. Also, I don't think most people who know me would call me headstrong, and all you'd have to do is look at the state of my sewing to know that I can't finish anything. In fact, if I'm honest, writing is about the only thing I ever follow through on!

Today's daily giveaway is IMPOSSIBLE by Nancy Werlin. (And, of course, your comments count as an entry for the grand prizes, where you could win a copy of THE REPLACEMENT in the Penguin Five box!)