Friday, October 08, 2010

Party with Kay Cassidy

Welcome Kay Cassidy to the party!

Kay is a TFC sister as well as a GCC sister. I finally got to meet her in person a couple of weeks ago at our power cheesecake summit in Dayton. (Never underestimate the power of cheesecake.) I was afraid I'd be intimidated - I mean, Kay is a member of Mensa. She's the founder of the national Great Scavenger Hunt Contest™ reading program for kids and teens featured in School Library Journal Teen and Publisher’s Weekly Children’s Bookshelf. And she's co-founder of Living Your Five™, an organization all about making a difference in the world. Plus, I'm a fangirl of her writing. But there is nothing intimidating about her at all. She's open and friendly and extremely welcoming.
Kay is the author of teen fiction she wishes was based on her real life. In her spare time, Kay loves watching Glee and Life Unexpected, hanging out on Twitter, and reading. Lots and lots of reading.

Here's the blurb on The Cinderella Society:

Sixteen-year-old Jess Parker survives by staying invisible. After nine schools in ten years, she's come to terms with life as a perpetual new girl, neither popular nor outcast. At Mt. Sterling High, Jess gets the chance of a lifetime: an invitation to join The Cinderella Society, a secret club of the most popular girls in school, where makeovers are the first order of official business. But there's more to being a Cindy than just reinventing yourself from the outside, a concept lost on Jess as she dives tiara-first into creating a hot new look.

With a date with her popular crush and a chance to finally fit in, Jess's life seems to be a perfect fairy tale. That is until the Wickeds--led by Jess's archenemy--begin targeting innocent girls in their war against the Cindys, and Jess discovers her new sisterhood is about much more than who rules Mt. Sterling High School. It's a centuries-old battle of good vs. evil, and the Cindys need Jess on special assignment. But when the mission threatens to destroy her new dream life, Jess is forced to choose between this dream realized and honoring the Sisterhood. What's a girl to do when the glass slipper fits, but she doesn't want to wear it anymore?

Kay's numbers:

Your compound vibration numbers are sixteen and eleven.

Eleven is a master number, which is associated with wisdom, intellect and spirituality. Elevens are altruistic, sensitive, artistic, visionary, idealistic, have a sense of community. The number eleven can also hold a warning of hidden treachery from others, or a person who has a great deal to contend with.

The number Sixteen gives a warning of accidents or the defeat of one's plans. It should be carefully noted and plans made in advance to avert its fatalistic tendency. Sixteens should trust their own intuition to avoid hardship.

Your name number value is two.

The number two indicates someone who is empathetic, cooperative, considerate, but in some cases, co-dependent. Twos make good partners or diplomats.

Her reaction:

Eleven – I've gotten this one before when I had my numbers done, and a friend who was with me went, "Oh my gosh, that's totally Kay!" So I guess I'd have to say bingo to this one, even though it's weird to say "Why yes, I *am* visionary and wise." ;-) But I do strive to be altruistic and give back, so that part is an active piece of who I strive to be on my best day. :-)

Sixteen – Ooo… this sounds like a great plot twist. Too bad it's talking about my life! LOL Seriously though, I think intuition is essential to staying centered and happy. There are so many ways to get off course in life and in my career, but making sure I'm following my head AND my heart is definitely something I focus on. I'm analytical by nature so it's easy for my brain to take over and try to make all the decisions. But sometimes you have to go with your gut and trust that it's the right course for you. That's what I did when I decided to write fiction for teens and tweens. And that ended up being one of the best decisions I've ever made!

Two – This one made me laugh out loud. I had someone once tell me when I worked in the corporate world that I would make a good politician because I was so diplomatic and tactful. I laughed and joked that I couldn't imagine being a politician because I have a really reeeeeeally low tolerance level for b.s. :-) I do try to be positive and tactful though because I think there are a lot of people in the world who enjoy being snarky and disrespectful in public. I think there's enough negativity in the world that I don't want to add to it, you know? I would much rather counteract it with acts of kindness and being positive. Nice girls CAN win!

You can read more about Kay on her website: kaycassidy.com.

Today's daily giveaway is a double: A copy of Selfish Elf Wish by Heather Swain, and a custom Cinderella Society bookmark and glass slipper, courtesy of Kay.